Making a complaint is speaking up about something you are not happy with or you do not like.

We welcome complaints because they help us to improve our services and sort out problems.

You can read our full Complaints Policy and Procedure here:

Complaints Policy and Procedure (pdf)

Complaints self-assessment form (pdf)

What can I complain about?

Here are some of the things you might want to complain about:

  • People – how employees, volunteers or other people in Horton talk to you and treat you.
  • Support – are you getting what you need?
  • Information – have things been explained to you so that you understand?
  • Buildings/Accommodation – are there any problems?

It is fine to make a complaint. If you tell us you are unhappy with something or someone, you will not: 

  • lose your support
  • lose your home, or 
  • be treated badly. 

If your complaint relates to anti-social behaviour, please look at our reporting anti-social behaviour page.

If you, or a member of your household, are at serious risk, you should contact the police or other appropriate service as a matter of urgency.

How do I complain?

Tell someone as soon as possible. This may help to get your problem sorted out quickly.

Think about what you want to say:

  • What happened? 
  • When it happened?
  • Where it happened?
  • Who you are complaining about? 
  • What you want to happen to make things better? 

Who do I tell? 

  • Your Support Worker 
  • The Manager 
  • Anyone who works at Horton. 

 Or you can also tell someone else that you trust, such as a family member, friend, advocate (someone who will speak on your behalf).

They can help you get in touch with the people you need to complain to.

You can also tell us what you are unhappy about by:

What happens to your complaint?

We will try to sort things out straight away.

If we cannot sort things out straight away, we will treat your complaint as a formal complaint.

Our complaints process involves two stages.

Stage One – Formal Complaint

The manager of the scheme or department will look at the complaint and aim to resolve it. We aim to investigate your complaint properly and reply within 10 working days.

If we need longer, we will tell you why and what action has already been taken or is being considered.

If we need longer than 20 working days, we will let you know and ask if you are happy to give us more time. If you do not agree, you can refer your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman (details below).

Stage Two – Complaint Review

If you are unhappy with our response, you can ask for the complaint to be reviewed.

You need to tell us within 14 days that you want the decision reviewed.

A senior manager who has not previously been involved will undertake the review. They will write to you within four working days to let you know this.

They will look at the complaint again and respond to you within 10 working days. If they need longer, they will let you know and the expected timescale.

What if I am still unhappy?

If you are still unhappy with how we have dealt with your complaint, you can take it to an external organisation.

This will depend on the nature of the complaint and whether you are a tenant living in Horton Housing accommodation. We will let you know who you can complain to in our response.

You can also refer the matter to the Housing Ombudsman Service:

Housing Ombudsman Service, 2nd Floor, 10 South Colonnades, Canary Wharf, London, E14 4PU.

Telephone: 0300 111 3000


Horton Housing follows the Housing Ombudsman’s Complaint Handling Code. You can read the full details of this code on this document.

Housing Ombudsman’s Complaint Handling Code (pdf)

Scroll to Top
Skip to content